Resources from Valley Insight teachers, events, and retreats
- Self-Guided Nature Meditation Walk: Lee Steppacher, an Upper Valley resident and trained Awake in the Wild meditation teacher, offers this guided meditation. Similar to a self-guided tour of a museum, this audio file can be downloaded to your phone and accompany you on a walk. You can walk wherever you like, and because you can turn the audio on and off, you can make the walk as long or as short as you like. Lee leads periodic guided nature walks: to be informed about them, please email her.
- Judson Brewer Dharma Talk: A talk with Judson Brewer, February 29, 2020. Dharma Teacher and noted Psychiatrist Judson Brewer, an expert in the field of mindfulness-based habit change and a long-time practitioner, offered a dharma talk on “The Factors of Awakening and Reward-Based Learning.” Listen to Judson’s Talk
- Karen Summer, Valley Insight’s guiding teacher, offered suggestions for organizing and conducting an at-home retreat during a workshop in August.
Valley Insight Online Dharma Hall
Valley Insight uses Zoom for our Online Dharma Hall. For an invitation to any of our sessions, contact any Valley Insight Teacher, who will send you the link for the session. When connecting to a sit or other Valley Insight Program, attendees will be admitted into a Wait Room and admitted by the Teacher. [This process is necessary to deal with security problems with Zoom.
If You Haven’t Installed Zoom, here’s How To Install Zoom and Join a Zoom Meeting.
Resources for Dealing with the Pandemic
- Practicing in a Pandemic, Tricycle, 8/8/2020
- Oren Jay Sofer on Communicating During Covid-19 (offered 7/10/2020 on 10% Happier)
- Gil Fronsdal offers a guided meditation and a dharma talk weekdays at 10:00 am Eastern via YouTube. You can join the IMC livestream. And, find previous talks here.
- How To Heal Yourself in Nature – Mark Coleman (offered on 7/10/2020 10% Happier).
- Jack Kornfield in The New York Times, Things Keep Getting Scarier
- Pandemic Care Resources – compiled on Tara Brach’s website
- The Bodhisattva Response to Coronavirus by Jack Kornfield
- Barre Center for Buddhist Studies – A Daily Guided Meditation with Bill and Susan Morgan – Daily 10:30 to 11:15 am
Dhamma Resources (suttas, dhamma talks)
- Audio Dharma: recordings from Gil Fronsdal’s Insight community in CA, including talks by Gil, Andrea Fella, Nikki Mirghafori and others
- Access to Insight: readings in Theravada Buddhism
- DhammaTalks: talks by monastics in the Forest Tradition
- Dharma Seed: vast collection of dhamma talks from Insight teachers, plus many other resources
- ForestSangha: portal website for monastic communities in Ajahn Chah lineage. Excellent source for downloadable publications and talks and audios of chanting by nuns and monks
- Pariyatti: books and recordings in the S.N. Goenka tradition
Major Insight Retreat Centers
- Insight Meditation Society (Barre, MA)
- Spirit Rock (Woodacre, CA)
- Cloud Mountain (Castle Rock, WA)
- Insight Meditation Center (Redwood City, CA): founded by Gil Fronsdal, IMC offers various programs and retreats at its associated Insight Retreat Center (Santa Cruz, CA)
- Barre Center for Buddhist Studies (Barre, MA): primarily a study center with courses on various Buddhist topics
Vermont/New England/Canadian Centers & Groups
- Cambridge Insight Mediation Center (Cambridge, MA)
- Jetavana Temple Forest Monastery (Thai Forest Monastery in Temple, NH): Jetavana is not a retreat center, but one can visit there and share a meal with the monastics and listen to a Sunday dharma talk
- True North Insight (Montreal, Quebec): offers teachings in English and French
- Vermont Insight Meditation Center of Brattleboro: Southern Vermont Insight group